Monday 25 November 2013

Hebden Bridge - November 2013

Last week I travelled to Hebden Bridge from Blackpool with my wife to see the Dylan Project, and went on to witness one of the best concerts I've ever seen. The venue - the Trades Club - is situated down a dead end side road, and initially I was not impressed by its outside appearance; the (hard) rain falling only added to the gloomy atmosphere. Inside though it was another story.

A wooden staircase took us down a narrow passage which led to the stage area the size of a tiny village hall where the 100-plus audience were crammed close together. Never seen Steve Gibbons before so didn't know what to expect from the show, but what followed was a performance i will never forget. Most of his numbers were from the 60s, - Colours to the Mast and Sweetheart Like You were typical of the set - but his voice sounded just like a young Bob, and if I closed my eyes I could imagine Dylan himself performing. Steve's version of Not Dark Yet was sung with a deeper growl in tune with Bob's ageing vocals, and other highlights were a wonderfully sorrowful version of Dark Eyes and a rousing Like a Rolling Stone, which finished off a memorable evening.

I must urge you to see this band if you get the chance. Dave Pegg and the rest of the band were outstanding.Take your partners too, This is the band to see for someone who loves Dylan songs more than the man himself. Looking forward to seeing the great man himself in Blackpool shortly.

- Ian Close, Blackpool

No comments:

Post a Comment